Friday, March 9, 2012

I wonder what people think....

when we walk into Kroger.

Please do understand that I am not an English major nor do I have time to read back through my post. Errors in vocabulary, grammar or spelling will be included. I don't care. I usually don't have time to care or I have a wiggly baby sitting in my lap (like right now) forcing me to type with one hand. This blog is for my memory which is quickly fading. The end. 

I read this article ( http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/kara-gebhart-uhl/mom-judgments_b_1319775.html ) yesterday and started to think about what others thought about me and my kids when we walk into Kroger. Thankfully, I could seriously care less of what others really think but I wanted to write down how I get prepared to go out into public with my 3 so I can remember for my own sake.

1. I try to start packing early. I try to start getting all our stuff ready (a couple hours) before we are about to walk out the door. I know that sounds kind of OCD but I am not at all that way. If I have a few free minutes I will begin the process of packing the bag so I am not pulling out my hair 5 minutes before we leave. AND if you plan ahead you are less likely to forgot stuff! I forget stuff allllll the time.

Here is my diaper bag. Wallet (which I forget all the time), toy's for Zoey, formula for Zoey (even if she just had a bottle it's nice to have a back up), stickers for Avery and Maddux, wooden spoon (dreaded), bag of medicine/band-aids and of course the basics like diapers and wipes.


2. I try to bring stickers and a wooden spoon. Avery and Maddux both do well when they get positive reinforcement but sometimes Maddux is to hard headed and gets threatened with the wooden spoon. Most of the time I just have to mention the spoon and the behavior stops.

3. I give directions before getting out of the car. Avery and Maddux are 3 and know that parking lots are unsafe to run around in, but heaven help me, they can forget in the drop of a hat so I try to remind them that there are cars everywhere before getting out of the car.


4. I try to keep everyone safe. I have to have a plan before getting out of the car. I am that weird lady that stalks all the cart return thingys for the prefect cart. You know, the race car buggy. Once located, I try to park as closely as possible. That way I don't have to walk half way across the parking lot with all the kids or leave them in the car. I usually get Zoey out first (put her in the cart) and then follow with Avery and Maddux. 

5. I try to take as little as possible. I already have to juggle 3 kids so there is no need for a purse, diaper bag, etc.

6. I try to remember that once we get out of the car there is no going back! 

7. I try to make grocery shopping fun. Who likes to be super stressed while shopping anyways?? I try to ask my kids a lot of questions like, what color is this banana? Which flowers should we get?

8. I try to take my time. There is absolutely no reason to be in a rush when there are kids involved. It just makes the entire trip no fun for anyone.


9. I try to take pictures. I love looking back and remembering silly things like....wow, I seriously fit 3 kids in the race car shopping cart. What was I thinking?

10. I try to care less about what others think.  I am trying my best to raise my kids and I don't have time for other peoples crazy looks or stares. I usually don't get any negative comments but a lot of people feel the need to talk to me. EVERYONE knows a set of twins so they always want to share that with me. I even thought we were going to get out of talking to anyone this morning but as I was walking out of the door a women stopped me to ask how close in age Avery and Maddux were and we also had someone roll their window down in the parking lot and say the normal..."wow, what a gang!" Which I reply, "it's always a party at our house!"


3 comments:

Bech and Marley Evans said...

love this! i didn't even know they made shopping carts that big!

Elizabeth said...

I love this :) And that is pretty amazing that you fit all three in the top part... that's WONDERFUL!

Pop said...

Becca you are a wonderful mother and your children are very well behaved. I'm proud to be their POP.